The Top Shale Gas Companies in the UK
Photo by Jeremy Buckingham
Below is a list of the top shale gas companies in the UK, what they have recently been up to and what they’re planning on doing in the not too distant future:
- Cuadrilla Resources Ltd. is a shale gas explorer in the UK, and they just suspended their drilling project in the northwest part of Britain, after minor quakes struck the region. But they do expect to be back to gas production in 2014. They plan to explore through 2012 and into 2013, to determine whether it will be profitable to apply for a permit for the development of a full field operation.
- Afren is one of the leading companies for exploration and production. They are listed on the main market of the London Stock Exchange and are constituents on the FTSE 250. Their portfolio includes assets in 12 different countries and they handle appraisals, development and production in many prolific areas.
- Caithness Petroleum Limited is a British-based, privately owned company that is involved in gas and oil exploration and production. They have reserves and potential drilling sites in the North Sea, Morocco and in the United States.
- EnQuest is a gas and oil company, independently working in development and production. Their primary focus is on the UK continental shelf. They have reserves in the UK North Sea and focus on oil and on targeting undeveloped fields.
- BG Group is a Britain-based international gas and oil company. Their headquarters are found in Reading, UK. They operate in over 20 countries in Europe and worldwide, including those in South America, North America, Australia, Asia and Africa. This company also is the number one supplier of Liquified Natural Gas (also known as LNG) to the United States. BG Group is found on the FTSE 100 Index, and in July of 2012 it was listed as the 7th largest company on that trading platform.
- Perenco has its headquarters in the city of London, and is a British-French gas and oil company that is primarily invested in the exploration and production in 16 worldwide countries, including Iraq, Turkey, Brazil, Tunisia and other countries. The company works in both offshore and onshore projects, with large projects in the North Sea.
- BP is a British gas and oil company with multinational interests. Its headquarters are in London, UK. It’s a major energy company, third largest worldwide, and overall it’s the fourth largest company worldwide, as measured by revenues in 2011. BP is operational in all gas and oil industry areas, and does exploration, refining, production, marketing and distribution. BP operates in more than 80 countries. The company is listed on the FTSE 100 Index and the London Stock Exchange.
- Star Energy is second only to BP in the list of largest onshore oil companies in Britain. It acquired the operations of Weald Basin from SOCO International, and it has fields near Lincolnshire at Reepham and near Welton. Star Energy and iGas explore and develop reserves of oil and gas in northwest Britain, southern Britain, in the East Midlands and in north Wales.
- Hardy Oil & Gas is another of the leading gas and oil exploration and production businesses based in the UK. It has its headquarters in London. Its operations are carried out in India and Nigeria. The company was listed first on the AIM alternative market of the overall London Stock Exchange, but is now listed on the main LSE market.